How To Renew Your Texas Drivers License
Texas drivers license renewal doesn't have to be complicated. We've collected helpful information that will save you some time, and we offer links to resources that will get you going in the right direction. Select from the options below to get started.
2: By mail, if eligible (read below for instructions)
3: In person at a local DMV office
Renew Texas Drivers License By Mail
The process to renew a drivers license in Texas by mail is as follows:
- Send a check or money order, the check or money order must be written out to TXDPS
- Social Security Number
- And a photocopy of their insurance card. The insurance card must show that there is at least liability coverage. If the driver is not the owner of the vehicle and does not have proof of insurance, then they will need to enclose a non-ownership of a motor vehicle affidavit along with the other documents.
Renew Texas Drivers License In Person
A Texas drivers license holder will need to visit a Texas Driver License office in order to renew their driver's license in Texas. The driver will have to bring:
- Proof of identity, such as a driver's license.
- Also required is proof of lawful residence, which could be:
- Birth Certificate
- Valid passport
- Or another form that shows you legally reside in the United States.
Once you pass the vision test, and pay the required fees, your application is complete. If a driver is under the age of 18 or has a Commercial Driver's License (class A or B), the only option they have for renewing their license is in person.
Renew Texas Drivers License Online
There is a step-by-step process to renewing a Texas drivers license online. You will need to visit the Texas Department of Public Safety website and go to the renewal section. From there the driver will:
- Log in using information off of the driver's previous license.
- Once the driver enters their address and reviews the information, the driver can pay the Renewal Fee's that is required.
- If the payment was accepted, a receipt will come up.
- The receipt will be your temporary license until your official one comes in the mail.
You can also renew your Texas drivers license over the phone. To do this you will need:
- The last four numbers of their Social Security Number
- Your drivers license
- A credit card.
- There can be no major changes in your physical ability or looks.
Renewing Texas Drivers License If Expired
A Texas drivers license renewal applicant's license is valid for six years, unless there is a name or address change. If a Texas drivers license renewal applicant's license has been expired for two or more years, the driver will need to start the whole process from the beginning, which includes:
- Retaking the driving
- And written tests.
The Texas drivers license renewal applicant may also be issued a new driver's license number. If it has been expired less than two years, then the driver can follow the steps above to get a driver's license renewal in Texas, either online, by mail or phone, or in person. Once the driver follows the steps above, the driver will have finished the renewal process. The driver must remember all their necessary documents so there are no hold ups and make sure to pay for the required fees.
How to renew your Texas CDL drivers license here.